All letters start on the line with a lead-in stroke and this handwriting style is taught from Reception right through the school.
Our aim is that the children will be able to write clearly, fluently and quickly so that they can cope with the everyday demands of life and school.
At Hindley All Saints, all children are introduced to Cursive Handwriting from the start. We believe this raises standards in the Early Years which has impacted throughout the whole school, developing confidence, accuracy and fluency and improved presentation.
The rules of the Cursive Style helps:
- to minimise confusion for the child as every letter starts on the line with an entry stroke and leads out with an exit stroke
- with the flow of Cursive Writing as letters naturally flow into each other; it is impossible to write separate letters without joining
- form spacing between words as the child develops whole word awareness
- develop a child's visual memory
- all children's writing skills regardless of academic ability
- to develop skills of punctuation and grammar
All children initially write with a pencil, with older pupils moving on to pen.